Friday, 28 June 2013

Le Chat Noir









Materials Used:
Stamps:Chat Noir

Wow, time is rushing by at the moment, thankfully it is Friday and that means It is very nearly the weekend.
Today it is my turn to post and today I am sharing my 'Le Chat Noir' little double frame thing, Ok not 100% sure what it's called ;)
I knew I wanted to use my new Chat Noir stamp, I have been a fan of this image for years and new I needed it as soon as I saw it.
I had intended to make something bright but all roads seem to lead to shabby lol
I started by giving the wood a coat of Gesso and a light sand. I then started by layering up different shades of Decoart Translucent acrylic paints, I started with a bright Yellow, then some Quin Gold and then a burnt Orange, It was then given a good sanding back to reveal the different layers of colour and to leave as flat a surface as possible for stamping.
I started by stamping the Diamonds with Coffee Archival ink, this added to the richness of the colours, the Chat Noir was stamped in black Archival, as were the letters and the leaves.
To finish I used archival ink on a bit of cut and dry foam to darken the edges.
The overall effect was to look like an old lacquered piece of wood that has been around and re painted a few times in it's life, Maybe something that could have sat on one of the tables at the original Chat Noir cabaret club.
I kept the overall look simple and used the date the club was established opposite the main Cat image.

Thanks for stopping by, It is always great to have you here, remember there will be a brand new post tomorrow morning from one of our talented Dt members.
If you want to see more from me it would be great to see you over at Speshink.
xx







8 comments:

Ineke said...

Wauw, great work Mark. Love it.

Jetske said...

It really looks like an old piece, great job!

monique said...

Love it. Duh!! It's got cats on it :-)

butterfly said...

Fantastic - that poster has been one of my favourites for longer than I care to think. And your diptych homage is fabulous!
Alison x

Ally White Cat said...

This is a wonderful piece even the leaves are creepy
hugs
susan s

craftytrog said...

Fantastic...love those layers of paint! x

Dianne said...

Well I for looove the shabby, a diptych, thanks to Butterfly who always knows the right words:).It's gorgeous the colors your created are fabulous it's a fantastic make Mark thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day..

petpan said...

Very beautiful peace of art work, the colours are very beautiful and i love the cat too.