Monday, 9 December 2013

Steampunk Elephant Present










Used Stamps
All stamps are from Nuts and Bolts PP77

Morning all, Mark here and today I am sharing another non traditional Xmas post.
This elephant was bought for me last Xmas by my Girl friends brother Neil. and comes from The Elephant Parade charity that raises awareness and support for Asian Elephant Conservation.
They host City wide external Painted Elephant exhibitions and if you get the chance to see you will love it.
This started out as a plain white resin kit elephant, Neil has been collecting the official replicas for a couple of years and has been kind enough to have bought me a couple as presents as well, last year I got the kit to paint your own. 
What a great gift, I have been waiting for the right time to create something and with Xmas around the corner I thought it would be a nice idea to paint it up for him this year.
I have gone for a steam punk style elephant, I have used Decoart traditions acrylic paints and have given it an Andy Skinner copper patina finish. I think this is my favourite faux metal finish as I love the patina colours.
I used stamps from the Nuts and Bolts set and used archival ink to stamp. I have had to use the stamps un mounted and try and roll with the 3d shape of the elephant, Not 100% but it kind of works and at least I managed not to smudge the images ;)
I wanted to keep the elephant fairly clean and simple so to finish I added one of Tim Holtz's radiator keys to make him look clockwork.
I hope Neil likes him.
Thank you all for stopping by x




8 comments:

Ineke said...

This is a nice gift. Like your story very mutch. The stamping looks alright to me. Good job.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Wow he is gorgeous , I need one! X fab fab fab x

Corrie Herriman said...

I like him a lot, great present !
Corrie x

Redanne said...

You really do that patina effect so well Mark, it looks fabulous on the elephant and I love the 'clockwork' key. I bet he will be thrilled to see what you have done! Anne x

Gráinne said...

Oh wow! This is outstanding, Mark. My son would so love this :-) and of course I do, too. Absolutely fab work - and a great idea. Hugs, Suzanne xx

Jetske said...

Adding the key is a brilliant idea!

butterfly said...

Yup... I knew when the email came through that this could only be Mark!! Fabulous paint techniques to create a wonderful elephantine piece of art - it was an elephant that first got me to Speshink!
Alison x

mark gould said...

I remember that elephant, that also made its way to Neil