Monday, 9 March 2015

Tick Tock Clock

Hi all, it's Suzanne.
I managed to have a bit more time at my disposal last week and tried my hand at a steampunk clock, it's about 34cm in diameter and I got it - again :-) - from the Dutch shop chain with the capital A.


supplies used
stamps
from plate 167 large men PLATESW167
protractor SW E12109
damaged clock from plate 137 steampunk 10 machines  PLATESW137 
background roman numbers  FAS S1402 

others
gesso 3024-32314 
sanding block SB/S 
distress paint antiqued bronze TH-TDD36289
vintage photo
rusty hinge
weathered wood
black soot
forest moss
iced spruce 
faded jeans
peacock feathers
peeled paint
 
waterbrush YA-KWB09
versamark ink TS-VM001
TH die gadget gears
foam paint roller 
stampendous embossing enamel aged copper
various acrylic paints


First I dismantled the clock :-) and primed the clockface with gesso.
Then I started experimenting on how to apply paint onto it without that looking gruesome ...my wonderfully imaginative and creative blog friend Mark saved me - once more - by suggesting to use a foam paint roller, which I did. Now it was trial and error, sanding back colour, adding colour ... until I was satisfied somewhat. It still looked a bit naked so I stamped the background with the roman numbers, the damaged clock, and the protractor, finally I added some of the embossing enamel and sealed everything.
The men were stamped separately, coloured with distress stains and a waterbrush, and glued onto some design paper.
I die cut the cogs from rather thin cardboard and dry embossed them with the 'riveted metal' folder after I painted them with silver acrylic paint. Then layers and washes of  various other acrylic paints were added and sanded back (turquoise, blue green, quin gold, black). For the numbers I tried a slightly different technique and glued them onto Tim Holtz design paper that I sponged with distress ink rusty hinge and peacock feathers.
When all the single parts were done I wrapped some wire around the clockface and added the pieces.
Unfortunately the clock doesn't work anymore - no surprise there - but I think it's still kind of an eyecatcher when it will be hanging on the wall ...



Hope you like this a bit.
Thank you so much for stopping by and please don't miss out our challenge on the de stempelwinkel challenge blog, it's 'silhouettes' this week.

Hugs, Suzanne xx

8 comments:

Apollox said...

Eine sehr coole Arbeit!

whyducks said...

Loving all the texture going on on those numbers.

whyducks said...

Loving all the texture going on on those numbers.

mark gould said...

Very cool. Love the use of the stamps and the rusty colours x

Redanne said...

It is a wonderful steampunk clock with lots of gorgeous texture - I love it!

Jetske said...

Very, very beautiful! Maybe it's better that it's not working anymore, that way you can't see how long you are looking at it to study all the details!
This would be very much appreciated by Just Steampunk....

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Such a cool Steampunk clock Suzanne!

Karin said...

Beautiful Steampunk clock Suzanne!