Saturday, 27 June 2015

Using A Journal Page For ATC's




Stamps Used:
The Fireman is from Hoed SWK12018
The Small Circle Pattern is from Thoughts PlateCP 49
The Large Circle is from Time And Space NSPL46
The Barb Wire and Wire Mesh are from Hardware Findings PlateSW 159

Morning all, Mark here And today I have been using a journal page to create my back grounds for a couple of ATC's.
It can be fairly fiddly working on ATC's, not a lot of space and when blending colours or products like Brusho's where you sprinkle the powder and spritz with water. Much like Jelli Plate prints I find working on a journal page to get the combination of colours and layers a good way of getting the randomness of your colour choice without the ATC looking crowded with detail.




This is the Journal page I started working on, I started with a lime green page that had been coloured with acrylic inks. Once that was dry I used Brusho's sprinkled randomly and then spritzed with water. The opposite page was folded over to absorb the extra water and then the page was heat dried.
Using different colour Archival inks I stamped my images, the star has been stencilled using Decoart fluid acrylics.
I like to use Atc's that have been laser cut from mdf as they are nice and chunky and give a nice solid base, no warping when paint is applied and they will take modelling paste really well.
Using the Atc as a template I traced round and cut then cut the area I wanted out, using Decoarts media matte medium I glued the paper to the surface.
The overhanging paper was trimmed with a craft knife and the edges gently sanded to blend in.
Tim holtz has just bought out a product called Micro Powder I think, It has been around a long time manufactured by someone else and Tim is working with them so Ranger can bring it out.
Its basically a waxy cream that can be used to seal things like distress ink that are water reactive. It also works with things like Brushos.
The benefit of doing this allowed me to varnish the Atc without having to spray seal.

Thanks for stopping by. xxx
If you have time please check out our challenge blog, the theme at the moment is 'Men'
The details can be found at the top of the side bar xx. It would be great to see you over there and you may win yourself a little prize.





1 comment:

Jetske said...

A good idea to use a journal page for ATC's. You are right that on such a small surface working with things like Brusho is very difficult, but doing it this way you can choose the most beautiful parts.